Bothasig Christmas Lights

A few streets in Bothasig are nationally known because of their extravagant christmas lights, every year they seem to pop up on the news or in the newspaper and if you live anywhere in the Western Cape it is a must see!

The street with the most lights are Klepper, Cornelius and Potsdam, but you will find well lit up houses on most streets in the area.

DSC00080

I would suggest that from Bosmansdam road you take the Wyland road turnoff and then turn right into Cornelius street, once in Cornelius you can follow it and at the end of the street turn into klepper street. If you still feel like looking at more lights then make your way to Potsdam road and turn into Vissershof road and then into Rietvlei avenue. If you are unsure were to go you can check out the map below.

View Larger Map

This route I mentioned will take you through the major sections and there are also a few tables set up, on the side of Potsdam road, selling lights. Enjoy!

Be Sociable, Share!

About Chris

I love spontaneous travel, the outdoors, the ocean and having a good time. I want my life to be series of never ending adventure

, , ,

6 Responses to Bothasig Christmas Lights

1. anneke December 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

The lights at Bothasig is sooo dissappointing this year!! Other years it was a paradise with lights. This year (2012) there is about 8 houses in the whole of Bothasig with lights. Couple of beautiful houses with lights but NOT just thE exiting lights, people walking the roads, Santas in the streets… 🙁

• Chris December 17, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

That’s horrible! Usually it’s packed with people and lights. Maybe try the lights in Adderly street in town? They are usually good too. Thanks for the feedback Anneke

• anneke December 17, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

I thought perhaps it was me just being a bit late, perhaps most of the lights were put off already (I drove through about 21h00) but there were many cars but that magical lights was just missing in action, like in the ‘old’ days. I felt like crying, I was always so exited to go see the lights. I guess people move and newbies just don’t bother to keep up the tradition. My granny always said ‘child, everything changes, NOTHING stays the same forever.. Sad, but true.

• Glenda Pontes August 11, 2017 at 3:56 am #

Thank you for your feedback. I think it’s time that

the story be told of how this magical tradition of creating a fairyland of Christmas Lights began, because it is a story of how one person can make a change, how a neighborhood can come together to make dreams happen. This is the story of Klepper Street and I was honoured to have lived there for over 19 years. Still today the children who grew up there are more than friends, they are family. There is a tangible bond between them that can never be broken and it’s only now that I have left the little suburb, that I miss the community spirit, support and real friendship that helped nuture my children and supported my husband and I in raising them to be the beautiful adults they are today. It’s only now when I watch grown men tear up when they talk about a dream of their children playing freely in the streets, that I realise just how blessed and privileged we were. I hope to gather stories of how this all started. It’s a story I am proud to be a part of. It’s a story I would like my great grandchildren to hear. Let’s tell it. If you have been a part of our story, let’s share it.

2. Natalie December 10, 2015 at 11:42 am #

Does anyone know if bothasig is doing the lights in Klepper street and if not does anyone know where there will be lights this year

• Rohan July 19, 2017 at 3:12 pm #

I’m living in Bothasig since 2015 and there’s been tons of houses with epic lights in 2015 and 2016 in Klepper Street. Not so much the rest of Bothasig though